Can I Buy a House with a $10,000 Deposit?
Most Australian mortgage lenders require a deposit of 10-20% for home loans. With a deposit of $10,000, most lenders would only approve you for a $100,000 home loan. You may be approved for a larger loan if you pay more lenders mortgage insurance. If this is the largest deposit you can afford, you may be able to apply for a low deposit/no deposit home loan.
Low deposit home loan
Considered risky by most traditional lenders, some non-traditional lenders may offer low deposit home loans, even with a deposit as low as 3%, as long as you meet the following criteria:
- You have a good income.
- You’re using the loan to buy, refinance, build an owner-occupied or investment property.
- Your property is considered low-risk.
- You have a clean credit file and good credit history.
- You have genuine savings of at least 5%.
- You have a reasonable amount of assets for your age.
- You don’t have a lot of debt.
- You’ve been stably employed for the last five months.
Due to the risk of a low deposit loan, getting approved will require you to provide a solid application to your lender.
No Deposit Home Loan
Right now, the most common type of no deposit home loan is a guarantor loan. If your parents are willing to put up their home as security for your home loan, you can borrow 100% of your home’s value without having to pay lenders mortgage insurance.
If you can’t afford a large deposit, Mortgage House can help you find a low deposit or no deposit mortgage with competitive interest rates. If it’s your first time buying a home, we can also help you apply for a First-Time Home Owners Grant.